Hulda

Pinned to every local church noticeboard.
Caliban
Membership No: NW0970
Branch: Norwich
Main character profession/calling: Supplicant Priest - Crowa

Re: Hulda

Post by Caliban »

One thing I'm curious about - are Satyrs and Ceyders not the same entity? I was under the impression the Ceydar spelling came from mishearing the name aloud prior to writing it up? I only ask as I've heard Satyrs be pronounced Say-teer, Sat-ear, Say-tur, etc. Or is this a synonym for Fauns and I've been attributing it to the wrong beings all along?

And yes, Kobolds are Lord Rolbor's Servitor-Hulda. Most I've met are curious, intelligent, and generally too small or indifferent about fighting to actually be violent. Most I've seen are greatly passionate about craftsmanship, partaking in projects and helping build new things.

(One thing bears mentioning, not all Hulda are Holy creatures - it's a not-all-fingers-are-thumbs type thing)
~ Tim Buckdew
Novice Priest of Crowa

Posts prior to 3/7/22
Trevor Ironholme
Errant to House Ironholme
Posts prior to 29/4/22:
Father Caliban Rose -
OOC; Will Porter, Norwich Branch
porcelainstars
Membership No: NW 1143
Main character profession/calling: Brother Priest - Tralda
Pronouns: They/Them
Secondary character profession/calling: Apprentice Scout

Post by porcelainstars »

Caliban wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 16:27 One thing I'm curious about - are Satyrs and Ceyders not the same entity? I was under the impression the Ceydar spelling came from mishearing the name aloud prior to writing it up? I only ask as I've heard Satyrs be pronounced Say-teer, Sat-ear, Say-tur, etc. Or is this a synonym for Fauns and I've been attributing it to the wrong beings all along?

And yes, Kobolds are Lord Rolbor's Servitor-Hulda. Most I've met are curious, intelligent, and generally too small or indifferent about fighting to actually be violent. Most I've seen are greatly passionate about craftsmanship, partaking in projects and helping build new things.

(One thing bears mentioning, not all Hulda are Holy creatures - it's a not-all-fingers-are-thumbs type thing)
What, by definition, is a hulda then? I was under the impression that all of them were religious.
As for the Satyr/Ceydar, I have no idea. I've included both until proven otherwise. I've only met corrupted satyrs myself so can only speculate that they have similar abilities to the regular hulda.
Thank you.
~~~ Ralnor Fenfarren ~~~
----------- (they/them) -----------
> P4 Fellow Priest of Tralda
> Elf
> Norvic Branch
-----------------------------------
Morotis Sucks
Let Luck Guide Us

((OOC: T Burrell))
Jerimia Cotton
Membership No:
Branch: Hull
Main character profession/calling: High Father - Tralda
Pronouns: He/Him
Secondary character profession/calling: Journeyman Physician

Post by Jerimia Cotton »

Caliban wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 16:27 One thing I'm curious about - are Satyrs and Ceyders not the same entity? I was under the impression the Ceydar spelling came from mishearing the name aloud prior to writing it up? I only ask as I've heard Satyrs be pronounced Say-teer, Sat-ear, Say-tur, etc. Or is this a synonym for Fauns and I've been attributing it to the wrong beings all along?
Ceyder is how I've seen it spelt over the pub door and a trollball team. It's how I've always spelt it.

Obviously these are the most credible places for information that exist.

Hugh
Hugh
Traldan Priest
Halfling
Faster than The Gingerbread man

Before 4/5/19 Primate Korrin Hawke
Caliban

Post by Caliban »

porcelainstars wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 17:55

What, by definition, is a hulda then? I was under the impression that all of them were religious.
In essence, Hulda is the catch-all term for any living creature of magical or supernatural origins or abilities. To be sure, most Hulda we might see are holy in origin, but some Hulda - such as Medusae - are not. I believe Cyclopes are another example. I'm under the impression their soulfire is naturally awoken from birth, classifying them as Hulda as well as Foul-spawn.
~ Tim Buckdew
Novice Priest of Crowa

Posts prior to 3/7/22
Trevor Ironholme
Posts prior to 29/4/22:
Father Caliban Rose -
Caliban

Post by Caliban »

Before you ask, No, Demons and Fae are not Hulda. They're creature categories in and of themselves.
~ Tim Buckdew
Novice Priest of Crowa

Posts prior to 3/7/22
Trevor Ironholme
Posts prior to 29/4/22:
Father Caliban Rose -
Caliban

Post by Caliban »

Jerimia Cotton wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 17:57
Ceyder is how I've seen it spelt over the pub door and a trollball team. It's how I've always spelt it.

Hugh
It's at all possible that it's naturally changed spellings over time - one of those things that becomes a rule of thumb based on passing knowledge from the word of mouth over and over again.

I was never good with etymology though.
~ Tim Buckdew
Novice Priest of Crowa

Posts prior to 3/7/22
Trevor Ironholme
Posts prior to 29/4/22:
Father Caliban Rose -
porcelainstars

Post by porcelainstars »

Jerimia Cotton wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 17:57

Hugh
To ensure we are talking about the same creature; are you on about the things with two goats horns atop their head; possibly have the ability to turn invisible? The corrupted ones did at least.
~~~ Ralnor Fenfarren ~~~
> Elf
> Norvic Branch
Morotis Sucks
Let Luck Guide Us

porcelainstars

Post by porcelainstars »

Caliban wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 18:14
porcelainstars wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 17:55

In essence, Hulda is the catch-all term for any living creature of magical or supernatural origins or abilities. To be sure, most Hulda we might see are holy in origin, but some Hulda - such as Medusae - are not. I believe Cyclopes are another example. I'm under the impression their soulfire is naturally awoken from birth, classifying them as Hulda as well as Foul-spawn.
Thanks for this. I may copy this little post into the adventurers guide then and ask the wider community. I'll do this later tonight.
Praise be,
~~~ Ralnor Fenfarren ~~~
> Elf
> Norvic Branch
Morotis Sucks
Let Luck Guide Us

Jerimia Cotton
Membership No:
Branch: Hull
Main character profession/calling: High Father - Tralda
Pronouns: He/Him
Secondary character profession/calling: Journeyman Physician

Post by Jerimia Cotton »

Yeah that's the one. If you meet one that's alive play them some music, tell them a joke or play a funny trick on them or someone. They love it.
porcelainstars

Post by porcelainstars »

Jerimia Cotton wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 18:32 Yeah that's the one. If you meet one that's alive play them some music, tell them a joke or play a funny trick on them or someone. They love it.
Good to know, thank you! Should I be so lucky, I definitely will!
Seven Blessings,
~~~ Ralnor Fenfarren ~~~
> Elf
> Norvic Branch
Morotis Sucks
Let Luck Guide Us